Don't Let Absences Add Up
Students enrolled in the Aurora Public Schools are required to attend classes, unless excused for good reason in accordance with the Colorado Compulsory Attendance Law. Absences such as illness or injury, or absences approved by the principal and parents are regarded as excused absences. If a student’s absence is not caused by illness or injury or approved by the school principal, the absence shall be considered unexcused. Irregular attendance and/or excessive tardiness may result in poor academic performance, lower grades, an intervention plan being developed by the parent/guardian and the site administrator, and/or a referral for truancy. Students who are chronically truant, tardy or have serious behavioral issues may lose privileges to participate in activities at the end of the year.
Parents: If you need to pick up your student(s) before school ends at 3:57, please do so before 3:30. We cannot release students after 3:30 PM. Thank you for understanding!
Reporting Absences and Tardies
A parent/guardian must report a student’s absence by calling Aurora Hills Middle School (303-341-7450 / Attendance Line: 303-326-1650 / or fax: 303-326-1250) between 7:00 and 9:00 a.m. on the day of the absence.
There will be a recorder number in operation from 4:00 p.m. until 8:00 a.m. the following morning to receive messages about student absences. The recorder number is 303-340-0614. The information that needs to be given to the office:
- Student’s name
- Student’s grade level
- Reason for the absence or tardy
- Length of absence or tardy if known
- Who is calling
If the length of the absence is not known, daily calls are requested.
AFTER 24 HOURS, THE ABSENCE OR THE TARDY IS AUTOMATICALLY RECORDED AS UNEXCUSED. HAND WRITTEN NOTES ARE NOT ACCEPTED TO EXCUSE ABSENCES OR TARDIES.
- 1st Tardy – student is given a warning
- 2nd Tardy – classroom teacher calls home
- 3rd Tardy – student is issued a consequence by classroom teacher
- 4th Tardy – Administration team is notified and student is issued an after school detention.
***Every tardy thereafter, an email will be sent to notify the Administration team for additional consequences.
Students must attend assigned detention. Contact school administration if unable to attend.
- A “No Show” to detention is a Saturday School
- Failure to attend detention or Saturday School will result in student being denied permission to participate in or attend any after school function, to include sports (practices/games), spectator activities, dances, band/orchestra/chorus activities, clubs, and Intramurals until either detention or Saturday school is served.