Maintaining an Environment Conducive to Learning
Aurora Hills Middle School strives to maintain an environment that is safe for all students and is conducive to learning. In order to enhance the learning environment, Aurora Hills has established a dress code. The school shirts display the IB MYP (International Baccalaureate/Middle Years Program) logo. Aurora Hills’ attire is an outward indication of the student’s desire for success. All students will dress in proper attire while on campus or attending field trips. It is the parent’s responsibility to ensure compliance with the dress code.
SHIRTS THAT MAY BE WORN:
- Official Aurora Hills Middle School polo shirt with the IB logo stamped on the front of shirt.
- Official AHMS shirts will be sold at the main office for a cost of $10.00 per shirt.
- Purple shirts with the IB Learner Profile and Logo can be purchased for $12.00.
- Every Thursday will be College Knowledge Days: students will be allowed to wear college t-shirts, sweatshirts or hoodies in lieu of the uniform shirt.
- Extra-curricular t-shirts for music, athletics, or different school clubs can be worn on Fridays, our Spirit Days. Any alteration to the schedule must be approved by the Principal.
- A shirt or pullover may be worn under the school shirt, but the school shirt is the outermost garment to be worn for the student to be considered in dress code.
No modifications may be made to the school shirt (example: cutting, tearing, writing, knotting or banding of shirt bottom, etc).
Students found out of dress code will be required to wear school issued replacement shirt. Students are responsible for returning the school-issued shirt at end of the day in the same condition it was received.
PANTS THAT MAY BE WORN:
- No overalls or pajamas are to be worn.
- Sagging pants are not allowed.
- Any pants with holes or cuts must have an underlay such as tights or leggings when holes/cuts appear in the thigh area or above.
- Follow District Guidelines as outlined in the Safe Schools Policy.
- CAPRIS, SKIRTS, SKORTS AND SHORTS:
- Length (including slits) must be a minimum of finger length with arms hanging at sides.
Outside layer must be an official AHMS shirt or an AHMS hoodie while inside the building.
- Students may wear jackets and/or sweat shirts outside at lunch as conditions warrant.
- No jackets or sweatshirts (except AHMS sweatshirts) worn inside building.
- No vulgar symbols, dangling belts, chains, gang related attire (bandanas), gloves, sagging, hats/head coverings, picks worn in the hair (metal picks are not allowed at school), slides, slippers, house shoes, or flip-flops.
- No two or more people dressing alike for the purpose of intimidation or gang affiliation.
- All clothing needs to be size-appropriate.
Backpacks and large purses are to be stored in lockers and not carried throughout the day.
Aurora Hills’ administration reserves the right to determine if any clothing is inappropriate and change the dress code as deemed necessary as directed by the Safe Schools Handbook. For example: Any clothing that is too large or too small or too revealing of undergarments and/or body parts, etc.
Middle and high school students are required to wear a school issued photo identification at all times while on district property during school hours APS Code: ECABA. Each student is furnished a lanyard and ID by Aurora Hills Middle School. Aurora Hills or APS District staff may ask students to show their identification at any time. Student ID’s are required to check out media materials, ride the school bus, for admission to athletic events, etc. Replacement ID’s are available for $5.00 per replacement ID and $2.00 per replacement lanyard.
DRESS CODE AND IDENTIFICATION MONITORING
Parents, please ensure that your students meet dress code standards each day before sending them to school to help us keep a safe and positive learning environment for them and their classmates.
Physical Education Dress Code
All students are required to “dress out” for physical education classes. This is part of a student’s daily grade. Students must wear the following:
- a t-shirt with sleeves; any color & school appropriate per handbook
- athletic shorts or sweat pants (no leggings, yoga pants or tights, no shorts with snaps, zippers or buttons)
- running/athletic shoes
Make-up work is required for every absence from PE class. Students have one week from the date of the absence to complete and turn in the make-up assignment. Students need to ask their PE teacher for the make-up assignment.
LIMITED OR EXCUSED PARTICIPATION:
If your child needs to be excused from participation in physical education class, they need to bring a note from a parent excusing them. If they need to be excused for more than 3 consecutive days of class, they must bring a note from a doctor excusing them.
Please include your child’s first and last name, your name, and a phone number or email address in case we need to contact you.
PE LOCKER ROOM & GYM
We are not responsible for any lost or stolen items from the gym or locker room areas.
- All valuables (electronics, cell phones, clothing, etc) are to be locked up in the locker room during class.